Spring Cleaning Tips To Maintain A Pest-Free Frisco Home
March 31, 2020
Before you know it, spring will be here. Some people look forward to the changing season because it means warmer weather, a break from school, and blooming flowers. Others dread it because their allergies will likely haunt them. Love it or hate it, one thing the season guarantees is pests. There are a host of insects and creatures that thrive in warmer temperatures, moist areas, and around blossoming greenery.
Your property doesn't have to fall victim to these pests, however. To arm yourself against common pests in Northern Texas, its important to remember some important spring cleaning and pest prevention tips.
Common Spring Pests In Frisco, TX
Pests that dominate during the springtime include ants, beetles, Indian meal moths, spiders, bees, wasps, rodents, and cockroaches.
- The go-to area for ants is the kitchen. There, they can find quick access to food and water. Overripe fruit, crumbs, and residue from spills are just a few examples of the things that attract these pests. They are also drawn to spices and baking ingredients, such as flour. Ants carry bacteria and can contaminate food. Some ant types chew wood or can cause an allergic reaction in some humans if they bite.
- Beetles and Indian meal moths feed on baking and pantry items as well. Indian meal moths are typically 3/8 inches long, with a 5/8 inch wingspan. They are mixed in color, between gray, rusty brown, and bronze. Beetles nest in fabrics and will destroy them over time. They can also ruin packaged goods, wood furniture, and crops planted in your garden. Indian meal moths leave their webbing and feces in food, and if accidentally ingested, these byproducts change the flavor of the infested product.
- Spiders gravitate to dark, dusty, damp, cluttered, and low traffic spaces. For instance, basements, attics, air vents, and crawl spaces are typical hubs for these insects. They enter properties through cracks and crevices. Though many species of spiders are harmless, others can pose a threat to those they bite. When some species bite humans, it can lead to severe pain, exposure to poisonous venom, allergic reactions, and various health issues. The presence of spiders is often a sign that other pests are around, as bugs are their main food source.
- There are multiple types of bees and wasps, and not all surround plants, flowers, and bushes. Carpenter bees, for example, swarm and go after wood. Many people mistake their damage for the damage caused by a termite infestation. In any case, humans can experience toxic and allergic reactions to bee and wasp stings. These winged creatures carry venom, like spiders.
- Similar to bees and wasps, there are many kinds of rodents. Most prefer dark zones where there's not a lot of human activity. Since they have teeth that constantly grow, they constantly gnaw on wood, wires, or other products to keep their teeth from getting too long. They breed rapidly, so an infestation can happen in the blink of an eye. They crawl in filth, carry parasites in their fur, and leave behind waste, all of which spread unwanted and sometimes deadly bacteria.
- Cockroaches also reproduce quickly. They go to places that will provide plenty of food and water, like kitchens and bathrooms. They leave behind droppings and shed skins. Like other pests, they spread unwanted disease and contaminate food and surface areas.
How To Spring Clean Pests Out Of Your Home
Spring is the season for rebirth, regrowth, and intense cleaning. To help keep these seasonal pests at bay, use the changing weather as a sign that its time to organize and disinfect!
In the kitchen, throw away stale and outdated food. Wash counters, floors, and the inside of cabinets. Regularly clean dishes, and remove trash. Sweep in corners and behind appliances.
- Vacuum frequently throughout your home. As an added bonus, vacuum behind and under furniture.
- In the bathroom, keep your medicine cabinets and shower curtains neat. Fix any leaks around the sink, tub, and toilet.
- Use plastic storage containers instead of cardboard boxes in the basement.
- Reduce clutter throughout your home. Get rid of items that you don't need.
- Close all indoor cracks, holes, and crevices. Make sure issues with windows, screens, and other possible insect entry points are sealed.
- Outdoors, repair rotted wood and clean the gutters.
- Keep greenery trimmed and a good distance from your property.
What Adams Exterminating Company Can Do For You
Whether you're looking for ant control, beetle prevention, rodent extermination, stinging insect control, or spider elimination, our professionals at Adams Exterminating Company can help rid any pest from your Frisco home.
Adams Exterminating Company has been in business for over 70 years; we know pests like the back of our hands. We can save you time, effort, and money by preventing or eliminating unwanted seasonal invaders for you. We offer affordable pest control plans and expert service.
To oust spring pests from your property, we use environmentally friendly pesticides, baits, and fumigation gases. We use state-of-the-art detection equipment, and can address entry points. Lastly, we provide preventive measures and tips so that you can avoid an infestation in the future. Contact us today for a no-obligation estimate.