How To Tell If The Ants Around Your Lewisville Home Are Dangerous
September 16, 2020
Most people are under the impression that ants are harmless. This is probably because they are small and it takes no effort to kill one. However, it’s an incorrect assumption that the insects aren’t dangerous. Several subspecies can give painful bites. Others can destroy property, such as wood. Even those commonly thought of as merely a nuisance can be a threat. The reason is all ants can taint food and surfaces. This can lead to illness and/or hospitalization.
If you take some time to read about the kinds of ants that are common in Lewisville, you’ll learn many key things. One, how to identify one from another. Two, their potential risks. Three, how to prevent them. Four, what Adams Exterminating Company can do to free you from them.
Common Lewisville Ants & Risks
Odorous house, acrobat, and rover ants are a hazard to health. They aren’t known to have behaviors that affect property. Odorous house ants get their name righteously. When you stomp on them, their bodies emit a “rotten coconut” scent. As their name also suggests, they prefer the indoors to have access to moisture and warmth. Their favorite nesting spots are voids in floors and foundations, paneling, carpets, heaters, and pipes. You’ll experience only mild pain if they bite you. Should you see one of these brown or black ⅛ of an inch long critters, you likely have an infestation.
Here are basic facts about acrobat and rover ants:
- Acrobat ants have brown bodies that are 1/4 of an inch long. They reproduce particularly fast, and inhabit insulation, siding, roofing, and damaged wood.
- Rover ants max at 1/16 of an inch long. They’re yellow or brownish-black. Outdoors, they go to organic matter, plants, and sand. Indoors, they’ll be in outlets, shingles, and wall holes.
- Pharaoh, fire, and carpenter ants jeopardize health and/or belongings. Pharaoh ants are around ⅛ of an inch long. Their shading is yellow or yellow-brown, and they have red and black abdominal marks. Dark, damp, quiet, and humid areas are what they’ll gravitate to. Thus, lawns and gardens are their havens. Inside homes and businesses, they’ll travel to cracks in structures, pipes, baseboards, insulation, and even fabrics. They transmit salmonella and dysentery.
Some quick details about fire and carpenter ants are:
- Fire ants have black stingers and reddish bodies. They cap in size at ⅕ of an inch long. You’ll find them in mounds outside. Their venomous stings can trigger nausea, allergic reactions, and/or death.
- Carpenter ants are red, reddish-black, black, yellow, tan, or orange. Their body length is ¼ to ½ of an inch. They have winged swarmers. Moist or decaying wood is where they’ll create nests and tunnels, ruining buildings.
Adams Exterminating Company: Ant Prevention & Elimination
To keep ants away, you’ll have to take care of your property’s interior and exterior. You can’t stall with chores like washing dishes, taking out the trash, and vacuuming. Put meals and garbage in airtight containers. These tasks will reduce the food source for these pests. Having leaks and moisture issues repaired will cut down their water sources. By sealing gaps around utilities and foundations, you’ll be removing their entry points. Ants can crawl through any opening, no matter how tiny.
If all else fails, you can rely on us at Adams Exterminating Company. We’ve lasted for over 70 years because we always have affordable plans, expert staff, and treatments that are both powerful and safe. Whether it’s an insecticide, bait, or some other industrial-grade product, it will get the job done. No more ants for you. A free estimate awaits you when you call us today!