How To Prevent Fleas Around Your Lewisville Home This Spring
February 28, 2019
How to Prevent Fleas Around Your Lewisville Home This Spring
Spring is around the corner, which means fleas
are too. Fleas can be a potential threat year-round in Lewisville, so you will soon start noticing an increase in their activity as the weather warms. Invasions will start coming through your door and homeowners should be prepared for this. With the right prevention measures in place, fleas will be less attracted to your property and less likely to use you and your pets as hosts.
How Fleas Get Inside
For being so small, fleas are exceptionally talented at getting around and making their way inside a home. To understand flea invasions, you must first understand how they enter. The most common ways are by hitching a ride on animals:
- With excellent jumping abilities, fleas will leap onto a host and travel wherever they go. This doesn’t just mean your pets, it is common for fleas to piggyback a ride on rodents and other wildlife around your property.
- Wild animals may bring fleas into your yard as they travel through. They will then find your pets and travel inside with them.
- If rodents have invaded your home over the winter months, they will be likely to bring fleas and ticks in on their backs as they come and go. The fleas, after feeding on the rodents, will leap off and find themselves indoors to search for their next meal.
This means you don’t even need pets to have a flea infestation. Fleas can also come in on used furniture, clothing, or other household materials.
How to Keep Pests Out of Your Home
There are a few mistakes that North Texas homeowners make that attract rodents and other wildlife to their yard. There are a few things you can do to deter these pests
from your property:
- Try placing bird feeders further away from your home or getting rid of them altogether if you notice squirrels and other wildlife eating from them. If they attract rodents, then they’re likely attracting fleas to your property as well.
- Debris in your yard can give wildlife hiding places and allow them to remain on your property. Try cleaning debris and eliminating these places.
- Vacuum often.
- Wash bedding, including pet’s bedding, often.
- Inspect yourself and your pets.
- Contact your vet to find out the best flea prevention for your pets.
- Contact professional pest control.
How to Permanently Get Rid of Pests
Fleas are persistent. DIY treatments often fail and result only in frustration. If you’re noticing these little jumping bugs in your home, the quickest way to eliminate them is to contact professional help
. You’ll no longer have to deal with itchy bites or itchy pets.
Adams Exterminating Company has the experience and know-how to take care of your pest needs efficiently and effectively. Not only will we eliminate a current infestation, but our professionals will provide care to keep future invasions out. Contact Adams Eliminating to get started right away!