Are You Having A Hard Time Getting Rid Of Ants In Gainesville?
January 20, 2023
Gainesville is home to a variety of ants. Throughout the year, this part of Texas has a warm climate, which allows ants to thrive. If you are having a hard time getting rid of the ants in or around your home, you will need the help of an experienced Gainesville pest control specialist. At Adams Exterminating Company, we have over 75 years of experience dealing with the ants in this area, and we know exactly how to get rid of them for good.
The Habits Of Common Ants
There are over 200 species of ants that live in Texas alone. However, there are only a few different types that you are most likely to see around your home. Here is a closer look at some of the most common types of ants found in Gainesville:
- Odorous house ants: This ant gets its name from the odd, rotten coconut-type odor it emits when crushed. The odorous house ant is attracted to warm and humid areas. It also loves to devour sweet fruit and honeydew.
- Fire ants: This type of ant can both sting and bite people. They usually live in large colonies. One fire ant mound can measure up to four feet wide. They prefer to stay outdoors but sometimes find their way into Texas homes, which can cause a lot of problems for homeowners.
- Carpenter ants: No homeowner wants to hear that they have carpenter ants in their home because, like termites, carpenter ants like to consume wood and can cause a lot of damage to your home and property.
- Rover ants: This is one of the most invasive types of ants in this area. Rover ants are small, black ants that like to travel in large groups. If you have a rover ant infestation in your home, it can be exceptionally difficult to get rid of them on your own.
All the ants on this list have a high reproduction rate and live in large colonies. If you only see one or two ants in your home, it is only a matter of time before you start seeing several hundred more.
All Of The Problems Ants Can Cause In The House
Fire ants and carpenter ants are both dangerous to have around. Fire ants can leave a painful sting or bite on your skin that may last several hours. Some people are allergic to fire ant stings, which can make these tiny insects even more dangerous. Carpenter ants can also bite people; however, they are mainly dangerous because they can cause structural damage to your home and other wooden structures.
Ants are also extremely dirty creatures. They spend their days wandering through garbage cans and other unsanitary objects, picking up harmful bacteria along the way. They will then walk around your home and across your food, which could spread these dangerous bacteria to you. Some of the illnesses that people may contract from ants include:
- Staph infection
- E. coli infection
Ants are most likely to spread these dangerous illnesses through indirect contact. If you see ants in your home, you should thoroughly clean the area as soon as possible.
Four Easy And Effective Ant Prevention Tips
If you want to keep ants out of your home, follow these steps:
- Sweep and mop your floors often to ensure that there are no food crumbs left behind
- Keep a tight lid on your outdoor trash cans
- Seal up any cracks or gaps around your home
- Fix any leaky pipes or faucets as soon as possible
Ants will come into your home in search of food, shelter, and water. To keep them out of your house, you will need to make sure that these necessities are inaccessible.
Professional Assistance Is Key To Total Ant Control
If you see ants in or around your Gainesville home, call the professionals at Adams Exterminating Company as soon as possible. We know what it takes to eliminate ants from your home quickly and permanently. The sooner we can tackle your ant problem, the better the chances are for a positive outcome.