Mosquitoes Still Buzzing In North Texas
September 7, 2018
As summer gives way to fall, we often think that pesky bugs will start to diminish in number. Unfortunately, when you live in North Texas, autumn is still prime time for mosquitoes. Mosquitoes thrive in areas that are warm and humid, so they’re still going to be a problem for the next few months.
Since temperatures become more favorable as we move from summer to fall, we want to spend more time outdoors--but no one wants to deal with the effects of an out-of-control mosquito population. Not only can mosquitoes leave itchy red welts on our skin, they also carry a host of diseases, which they can transmit to the humans they bite. These diseases include West Nile virus, encephalitis, and Zika virus. If you’d like to diminish the mosquito population in your yard, consider the things you’re doing that might be attracting mosquitoes.
What Attracts Mosquitoes?
As mentioned above, mosquitoes need moisture to thrive. They lay their eggs in water, so any standing water on your property is potential breeding ground for these biting pests.
- If your lawn is wet or soggy, you’ll have an increase in mosquitoes. Creating proper drainage systems can greatly reduce their numbers.
- Puddles of any sort can help breed mosquitoes. Try to fill low spots in your lawn, walkways, or driveway to decrease the chances for puddles to form.
- Bird baths, while pretty, are the perfect spot for mosquitoes to lay eggs. If you have a birdbath, change the water regularly.
- Pet bowls are another spot where mosquitoes might lay eggs. Change the water frequently.
- Untreated swimming pools will certainly draw mosquitoes to your property. Consider chlorinating your pool or keeping it tightly covered when not in use.
Mosquitoes also require nectar to live. If your property is full of flowers, it may be beautiful, but it may also be attracting mosquitoes. Consider planting flowers that mosquitoes don’t like, such as marigolds, lavender, petunias, and rosemary. And it is a good idea to keep yourself protected by wearing light-colored clothing sprayed with DEET.
Why It’s Not Too Late for Professional Treatment
You may think the only time to treat your yard for mosquitoes is in early spring. However, it’s not too late! If you enjoy spending time outdoors, but the mosquitoes have made it unbearable, it’s time to consider treatment.
You can try DIY, but there are a host of problems that can occur: from wasting money on ineffective treatments to wasting time researching how to use each one, and from misreading a label to misusing a harmful chemical.
Professional mosquito control from Adams Exterminating Company not only ensures you get the treatment right the first time, which saves you time and money, it also gives you the peace of mind to know you’re choosing the safest option for your Lewisville, TX home and family.
Don’t waste the next few months wishing the mosquitoes would go away. Take action and get rid of the problem with Adams Exterminating Company. We offer full pest control packages, seasonal service, misting, and one-time event packages. Call us today to discuss the best choice for your needs.